Four-year-old boy dies from injuries after horrific Wigan house fire which killed his father

A four-year-old boy injured in a house fire in Wigan over the weekend has tragically died, police have confirmed. Emergency services responded to reports of the blaze on Warrington Road fire at around 2.30am on Sunday 14 April 2024.

Ethan Mason had been rescued after his ‘dad ran back inside to save his little boy’, his family said.

Tragically his dad, named today as 45-year-olkd Barry Mason, also died from his injuries.

Ethan, 4, who suffered serious injuries and was fighting for his life in an induced coma, died in hospital on Tuesday morning (April 16).

READ MORE Little girl, 5, rushed to hospital with serious injuries after being mauled by XL bully

Following initial enquiries into the fire, officers do not believe that there are any suspicious circumstances involved. Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue are continuing to investigate the causes of the fire and are working with police.

Detective Inspector Lee Gridley, from GMP’s Wigan district, said: “This is a devastating incident and all of our thoughts are with the family of this young boy, who had his entire life ahead of him.

The scene of the fire
The scene of the fire
(Image: Manchester Evening News)

“Together with the earlier death, this is a tragedy for the Wigan community and I know that many people will be shocked by this heartbreaking news. I hope people will join us in sending their absolute best wishes to all those involved in this incident, as they begin their journey in the healing process.

“While we are not treating the incident as suspicious, if anyone has any information they believe is important, please do get in touch with us. You can do this by calling police on 101, quoting log 393 of 14/04/2024.”

Earlier, before the tragic news was confirmed, Ethan’s family said he suffered severe burns to his body and was in an induced coma in hospital.

He suffered 86 per cent burns to his body, his aunt Jessica said on a Go Fund Me page, and underwent major surgery.

In an update, she said the burns had reduced slightly, but he was still bravely fighting for his life

“We are all absolutely heartbroken, but my sister and her other children have lost absolutely everything,” she wrote. “Please keep hoping and praying for him.”

Bolton Coroner’s Court confirmed today Mr Mason’s death has been referred to the coroner ahead of an inquest opening. Four others were also injured in the blaze. No age for Mr Mason has been revealed.

Fire investigation teams and police officers remained at the scene of the fire on Monday (April 15) as investigations continued. Neighbours told how they woke up to the sound of screams before emergency services descended on the scene at a semi-detached house.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed on Sunday the fire broke out in the kitchen of the home, at around 2.30am, before spreading up to the roof. Pictures taken at the scene show a badly damaged and scorched roof after the flames were eventually put out.

MEN Wigan | News